What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- WGST holds 7th Women's & Gender Studies Fair
- From the Director - Coming Home to Women's and Gender Studies
- Update on LGBTQ Curricula and Initiatives
- Another Perspective on the NWSA Conference in Puerto Rico
- Reflections On The NWSA Conference In Puerto Rico
- 6th Women's Gender Studies Fair held in Mountainlair
- Student Highlight: Allyson Perry
- Fireside Chats
- Eberly News
- WVU students discover six pulsars using Green Bank Telescope
- WVU Spanish professor to use textbook royalties to fund endowment
- WVU chapter of Hispanic honor society wins national honor
- WVU partnership with Spanish educational institutions to produce high-quality, bilingual textbooks
- WVU psychology department sleep research lab to host 2nd annual Pajama 5k Fun Run/Walk November 1
- WVU Today
- College of Education and Human Services' Center for Democracy and Citizenship Education to Present 'Anne Frank: A History For Today'
- WVU Mortar Board chapter receives national award
- College of Creative Arts Events Digest: Week of Aug. 31
- WVU chapter of Hispanic honorary society wins national honor
- University College and Honors College announce department changes
- Calendar Events