What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
July 5, 1961 - Betty Friedan publishes The Feminine Mystique, sparking the Women's Rights Movement.
July 5, 2015 - WVU Sophomore Kadeisha Buchanan is awarded the 2015 Hyundai Young Player Award at the Women's World Cup after the United States beat Japan at the FIFA Women's World Cup final at BC Place Stadium in Vancouver.
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Activism through Grammar: Why 2015’s Word of the Year is Revolutionary
- Fireside Chat: 'If You Love My West Virginia': West Virginia's Women Songwriters and Appalachian Politics
- WGST Facilitates Diversity Week Panel
- Celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies
- 2015 Annual New Faculty Potluck
- WGST holds 7th Women's & Gender Studies Fair
- From the Director - Coming Home to Women's and Gender Studies
- Update on LGBTQ Curricula and Initiatives
- Eberly News
- This is not well formed XML Missing end tag for 'link' (got "head") Line: 19 Position: 3550 Last 80 unconsumed characters:
- WVU Today
- Mountaineers fulfill dreams on the pitch
- WVU School of Medicine and West Virginia State University partner to offer pre-medical track program
- WVU students bring home accolades from Model UN conference
- WVU expert: Trump campaign ties to Russian interests harken back to Cold War-era politics
- WVU helps countries better understand responsible development, management and impact of unconventional gas resources
- Calendar Events