What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Eberly News
- WVU Center for Excellence in Disabilities Seeking Graduate Students
- Watch dean candidate Charles J. Brody's presentation and open forum
- WVU Eberly College announces 2015 Outstanding Teacher Award recipients
- Watch Eberly College dean candidate Christopher Long's presentation
- Department of Communications' Elizabeth Cohen discusses Jon Stewart's departure from The Daily Show
- WVU Today
- WVU fosters student leadership skills through launch of Shared Student Leadership Academy
- Nicholas Wince's big day at WVU
- WV Supreme Court to hear cases at WVU College of Law on March 4
- WVU students targeted by phone scam using commandeered police number
- WVU program to expand opportunities for children with special needs
- Calendar Events