What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- This is not well formed XML Missing end tag for 'link' (got "head") Line: 19 Position: 948 Last 80 unconsumed characters:
- Eberly News
- Presidential Pronunciation: How did Southern speech patterns begin to signify leadership Kirk Hazen Q&A
- WVU Philosophy Department to sponsor talk with Georgetown University professors during national speaking tour
- WVU English professor explores human relationships with water in forthcoming publication
- New National Science Foundation award to help continue WVU research Einstein's general relativity theory, 100 years on
- Two new faculty join WVU Department of Biology
- WVU Today
- WVU engineering senior wins state innovation award
- 25 Days of WVU Giveaways is back for the 2015 holiday season
- WVU Watts Museum exhibition focuses on impact of petroleum industry
- WVU professor tapped as distinguished speaker at international chemical engineering conference
- WVU Figure Skating club to Assist with Learn-to-Skate Program
- Calendar Events