What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
August 6, 1926 - Ruth C. Wood, a WVU student in 1890, became first woman in Monongalia County nominated for House of Delegates.
August 9, 1972 - Title IX ensures equal funding for both male and female sports in schools.
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Activism through Grammar: Why 2015’s Word of the Year is Revolutionary
- Fireside Chat: 'If You Love My West Virginia': West Virginia's Women Songwriters and Appalachian Politics
- WGST Facilitates Diversity Week Panel
- Celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies
- 2015 Annual New Faculty Potluck
- WGST holds 7th Women's & Gender Studies Fair
- From the Director - Coming Home to Women's and Gender Studies
- Update on LGBTQ Curricula and Initiatives
- Eberly News
- This is not well formed XML Missing end tag for 'link' (got "head") Line: 27 Position: 3631 Last 80 unconsumed characters:
- WVU Today
- New endowment established to help future generations of WVU students fulfill their dreams
- WVU to host veterinary career day Sept. 17
- WVU researcher: Self-injury ties with diabetes as 7th leading cause of death in U.S.
- WVU in partnership with Itaipu Dam, one of seven wonders of the modern world
- Cunningham named SBJ Game Changer
- Calendar Events