What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
On April 23, 1889 WVU faculty voted to allow women into collegiate (i.e. non-professional) classes if they pass the required exams.
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Fireside Chat: 'If You Love My West Virginia': West Virginia's Women Songwriters and Appalachian Politics
- WGST Facilitates Diversity Week Panel
- Celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies
- 2015 Annual New Faculty Potluck
- WGST holds 7th Women's & Gender Studies Fair
- From the Director - Coming Home to Women's and Gender Studies
- Update on LGBTQ Curricula and Initiatives
- Another Perspective on the NWSA Conference in Puerto Rico
- Eberly News
- This is not well formed XML Missing end tag for 'link' (got "head") Line: 19 Position: 3550 Last 80 unconsumed characters:
- WVU Today
- College of Creative Arts events digest May 2-8, 2016
- UPDATE: WVU Coliseum to remain closed Monday as testing for possible asbestos continues
- WVU Environmental Health & Safety to host Big 12 annual meeting
- Karl Joseph goes No. 14 to Oakland in NFL Draft
- Mountain State Business Index holds steady in April, but recession conditions remain
- Calendar Events