What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Eberly News
- Nation's first accredited masters of law program at WVU featured in The Jurist
- Department of Physics and Astronomy's Paul Cassak quoted on Space.com
- Department of Communications' Elizabeth Cohen says Facebook probably isn't causing us to be depressed
- Holocaust survivor shares her story in graphic novel, public lecture at WVU March 11
- March 2015 Community Collaborative to Address Issues among Veterans
- WVU Today
- WVU Wind Symphony to perform at Chicago Festival March 7
- WVU biometrics expert offers commentary on the identification of 'Jihadi John'
- WVU brings student researchers and policymakers together at the Capitol
- Constellium Ravenswood CEO to deliver Gochenour Lecture at WVU
- Holocaust survivor sharing her story in graphic novel offering public lecture at WVU March 11
- Calendar Events