What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Eberly News
- Holocaust survivor shares her story in graphic novel, public lecture at WVU March 11
- March 2015 Community Collaborative to Address Issues among Veterans
- WVU history professor to present lecture 'Civil War Prophecy: The History and Literature of Futures Past'
- WVU Center for Excellence in Disabilities Seeking Graduate Students
- Watch dean candidate Charles J. Brody's presentation and open forum
- WVU Today
- Holocaust survivor sharing her story in graphic novel offering public lecture at WVU March 11
- WVU Press publishes new short story collection by Gary Fincke
- WVU presents wickedly delightful 'Arsenic and Old Lace' March 6-15
- AhhaaWorld social media platform app launches at WVU
- Peng named interim chair of Mining Engineering at WVU
- Calendar Events