What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
On June 1, 1905 Annie Sweeny Fleming of Fairmont creates the GFWC Woman's Club of Fairmont. The GFWC Woman's Club of Fairmont is one of the city's oldest philanthropic organizations.
Mary Lou Ballard was chosen as WVU's first homecoming queen on June 2, 1939.
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Activism through Grammar: Why 2015’s Word of the Year is Revolutionary
- Fireside Chat: 'If You Love My West Virginia': West Virginia's Women Songwriters and Appalachian Politics
- WGST Facilitates Diversity Week Panel
- Celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies
- 2015 Annual New Faculty Potluck
- WGST holds 7th Women's & Gender Studies Fair
- From the Director - Coming Home to Women's and Gender Studies
- Update on LGBTQ Curricula and Initiatives
- Eberly News
- This is not well formed XML Missing end tag for 'link' (got "head") Line: 19 Position: 3550 Last 80 unconsumed characters:
- WVU Today
- WVU mobilizes efforts to help WV communities devastated by storms and flash flooding
- WVU professor predicts short-term volatility following Brexit decision
- Engineers without Borders completes service in Randolph County
- WVU to restrict public access to a portion of WVU Woodlot
- WVU-based NAFTC connects WV state parks to electric "plug-in" vehicle charging
- Calendar Events