What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- Fireside Chat: 'If You Love My West Virginia': West Virginia's Women Songwriters and Appalachian Politics
- WGST Facilitates Diversity Week Panel
- Celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies
- 2015 Annual New Faculty Potluck
- WGST holds 7th Women's & Gender Studies Fair
- From the Director - Coming Home to Women's and Gender Studies
- Update on LGBTQ Curricula and Initiatives
- Another Perspective on the NWSA Conference in Puerto Rico
- Eberly News
- "You don't have to have that whole road mapped out right now."
- Gift from WVU geology alumni helps create student field experience fund
- WVU Eberly College announces 2016 Outstanding Teacher Award recipients
- "Philosophy, communication studies and WVU gave me confidence."
- Professor examines failed policies of 'Land Reform in South Africa' in new book
- WVU Today
- Biochemistry professor receives prestigious award
- WVU alum commits to enhancing diversity
- PepsiCo VP, B&E alum opens spring B&E speaker series February 18
- WVU Career Services Center to host over 120 employers at the WVU Career & Internship Fair
- Noble Energy supports filter sock research, continues partnership with WVU
- Calendar Events