NOTE OUR NEW OFFICE HOURS: Monday-Friday 1:00-4:45
What is Women’s & Gender Studies?
Women’s & Gender Studies examines the contributions, perspectives, experiences, roles, and status of women and men within an historical and multicultural framework. Challenging stereotypes, our students explore the ways gender, socioeconomic class, sexual identity, race, ethnicity and age shape experience. Students are encouraged to explore female behavior and the realities of women’s lives, and to examine how femininity and masculinity are socially and culturally molded rather than determined by biology alone.
The Center for Women’s & Gender Studies at West Virginia University is dedicated to the mission of creating, evaluating, and disseminating knowledge based on feminist scholarship. We recognize diverse approaches to gender studies and the intersection of gender with other social identities such as class, race, sexual orientation, ability, age, and ethnicity in all that we do. We are committed to expanding access to education about women beyond the classrooms and campuses of West Virginia University and do so connecting the people of our state and region to sources of feminist scholarship worldwide. We accomplish our mission as a program within the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, while pursuing a unique university-wide mission.
(Note: “University” means the Morgantown and regional campuses of West Virginia University.)
- Our Blog / Newsletter
- WGST Student's paper published in "Sprinkle"
- Reception to celebrate the Harriet E. Lyon Professorship in Women's Studies
- Networking Night Matches Students with Professionals in LGBTQ fields
- Karen Cardozo's Visit to WVU, March 2017
- Seehra Lecture Series: Dr. Cardozo on Women, Work, and Life in the Wild New World
- Eberly News
- This is not well formed XML Missing end tag for 'link' (got "head") Line: 54 Position: 4298 Last 80 unconsumed characters:
- WVU Today
- Calendar Events